Friday, September 18, 2009

Unusual Timing

The idea of unusual time signatures in Turkish popular song is not unusual at all. The time signatures of 5/4 and 9/8 are used frequently. Some others are also used, but these are the most common. Before I came here, and partly the reason I am here, was because I heard an old, popular song called Yemen Turkusu. It sparked my interest in Turkish music. It is slow, beautiful and sad, (even when you don’t know what they’re saying), and it’s story is told in 5/4 time. It’s easy for common Turkish people to hear this rhythm and sing songs such as this one. A few have wistfully sung this melody to me before I try to play it to them.
On tv programs, even network shows, they’ll have guest singers on and they will sing a song in 9/8. Everybody in the crowd is singing along easily.
When I was in a music shop, a young man was showing me how to play the balagma, a very popular Turkish lute type instrument. The song he chose to play was in 5/4.
I know this so far: songs in the 5/4 and 9/8 signatures are sometimes referred to as karsilama- a dance done with a group of people. This term refers more to the dance than the rhythm, and this dance has different expressions in different parts of the country. As every region in Turkey has it’s unique set of influences (something I hope to explain later), there are many different expressions.
So far, I’ve heard musicians play songs in a number of time signatures, often changing within the song. And while the 5/4 signature is used in varied song types, the 9/8 signature is usually used in fast songs made for dancing.
Where I’m from, the understanding of these time signatures is usually reserved for musicians, and not all of them can really hear or play in these measures. So it is impressive that pretty much as a whole, a culture has integrated these time signatures into their classical, popular and folk songs. I hope to be able to better understand the origins and meaning of these time signatures in Turkish music in the future, and I will add to this post when I do.

1 comment:

  1. can you possibly reconsider to change the black background? i see nothing but black and white lines instead of peoples faces after i read your writings. i hope you do not think i am a rude or uninterested to you ;-)

    ReplyDelete